8 Signs That Indicate Problem With Thyroid Gland
The thyroid, located in the neck, is a vital body gland, as it is responsible for numerous functions in the body.
It produces hormones that regulate the metabolism, so the imbalance of those hormones severely affects the natural balance of the body.
Yet, the thyroid dysfunction is hard to be diagnosed, as its symptoms are similar to other health issues. Therefore, it is of high importance to recognize its symptoms and solve these problems on time.
These are the 8 symptoms of thyroid issues that should not be ignored:
- Frequent pains in the muscles or joints– This is an indication that should not be ignored, so you must visit your doctor and check whether you are experiencing thyroid issues.
- Bloating and swelling – Hypothyroidism can often lead to bloating. On the other hand, if you notice swelling or puffiness in the face, you should immediately check your thyroid gland.
- Trembling and anxiety – Sometimes, the excessive production of thyroid hormones may lead to accelerated metabolism and thus can make you feel irritated, nervous, shaky, and you can also experience concentration issues.
- Weight changes – Hypothyroidism can lead to unexplained weight gain, and on the other hand, hyperthyroidism can lead to rapid weight loss.
- Irregular menstruation – Thyroid problems can cause two kinds of abnormal menstruation: hypothyroidism leads to extremely difficult and long menstruation and hyperthyroidism causes small flow or no menstrual cycle at all.
- Change in mental functions – Reduced levels of thyroid hormones cause constant fatigue and feelings of tiredness and dizziness.
- Abnormal reaction to the temperature outside – In the case of thyroid gland disorders, people may react differently to the temperature outside than others. In the case of hyperthyroidism, people feel abnormal warmness, while the ones with hypothyroidism feel unnatural cold.
- Hair loss, facial pallor – The thyroid gland issues can also be manifested by hair loss, weak, brittle and dry hair.